Happy National Pound Cake Day! Whether you make it from scratch or using a tried-and-tested mix, a slice of the sweet, buttery cake is the ultimate blank slate for any topping. Deck it out with crowd-pleasing combinations for an easy dessert. Here, shown from the top, left to right, are nine of our very favorites. What are yours?
1. Strawberries and crème fraîche: Let the strawberries macerate in sugar to release their fragrant juices.
2. Melted white chocolate: Learn the best technique for melting it here.
3. Sliced bananas and honey: Warm honey slightly to make it easier to drizzle.
4. Fudge sauce and chocolate shavings: Try our easy recipe for hot fudge sauce.
5. Blueberries and whipped cream: Whip cream with a spoonful or two of sugar; sweeten to taste.
7. Raspberries and Greek yogurt: Yogurt’s pleasant tang contrasts wonderfully with the sweet cake.
8. Vanilla ice cream and sliced almonds: This is as simple—and satisfying—as desserts come.
9. Shaved dark chocolate: See our tip for creating beautiful curls.