Barbecue culture isn’t about fussy cooking. Most rib recipes include a signature seasoning or sauce that never changes; coleslaw tastes best when a bunch of ingredients are tossed in a bowl to meld together. Often the most delicious dishes are the simple ones made with items you already have — and dessert is no exception.
That’s the case with this recipe for peach cobbler, shared with me by Christy Jordan, cookbook author and blogger behind Southern Plate. “Classic Southern cooking is inexpensive and simple,” she says. “In the old days, there was no store you could run to to get something. Meals were always made with stuff they had on hand. Biscuits were a big meal stretcher — mix a little biscuit dough, put it on top of fresh fruit and you have a cobbler.”
Jordan’s recipe is one that her great-grandmother used to make and passed down through generations. Although it calls for fresh peaches, Jordan is the first to say there’s no shame in picking up a can from the grocery store in a pinch. And don’t skip the cinnamon!
These days peach cobbler is one of Jordan’s favorite desserts to make when she has company over. “I don’t try to impress guests with fancy food,” she says. “I want to share dishes that really mean a lot to me. That’s the kind of food you can’t get in a restaurant.”
Jordan insists good peach cobbler should come from the heart — and be a cinch to prepare.
8 Tbs. (1 stick) butter or margarine
4 cups peeled and sliced peaches
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
Preheat an oven to 350°F.
Melt the butter in an ovenproof casserole dish in the oven while you prepare the cobbler ingredients.
Put the peaches in a bowl, pour the lemon juice over them and stir to coat. Pour 1/2 cup of the sugar over the peaches and stir. Heat in a microwave for 1 minute so the sugar begins to melt.
In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup sugar, the cinnamon and flour until blended. Pour in the milk and whisk until blended.
After the butter is melted, remove the casserole from the oven and pour the batter on top of the melted butter. Pour the peaches on top of the batter. DO NOT STIR! Sprinkle the 1 Tbs. sugar on top. Bake until golden, about 55 minutes. Serves 6.
Recipe and photos courtesy of Christy Jordan at SouthernPlate.com.
- purchase celebrex
- brand levitra prices
- cialis + viagra over the counter
- purchase malegra dxt online
- cheap red viagra
- purchase viagra extreme
- can i buy viagra at walmart
- viagra online
- purchase viagra capsules
- buying amoxicillin
- diflucan online
- canadian cialis jelly
- where to buy pristiq
- buy celebrex
- buy viagra super active+ online
- where to buy female cialis
- cheap cialis jelly online
- buying amoxicillin tablets
- cialis professional over the counter
- buy viagra nyc
- buy viagra
- cheap ventolin
- cheap cialis super active+ online
- ordering viagra from canada
- purchase estrace vaginal cream online
- buying black cialis online
- where to buy amoxicillin tablets
- how to buy viagra online from canada
- order viagra from canada
- buy cipro
- cheap viagra plus online
- ordering viagra online canada
- buy brand cialis
- order levitra professional online
- buying careprost online
- viagra plus over the counter
- purchase sildenafil + duloxetine
- purchase diflucan
- buying malegra dxt
- how to buy viagra super active+
- cheap cafergot
- purchase brand cialis
- purchase viagra professional online
- how to buy vermox
- how to buy sildenafil + fluoxetine
- ordering amoxicillin online
- how to buy triamcinolone oral paste
- purchase lumigan
- cheap hard on viagra jelly online
- where to buy malegra dxt
- order malegra dxt
- buying estrace vaginal cream online