Now that it’s October, pumpkins are finally part of the picture. Regardless of whether your’e carving jack-o’-lanterns in anticipation of Halloween or roasting spaghetti squash for dinner, don’t forget you can transform those seeds into a delicious snack or pretty garnish. The secret? Roasting them until you reach crunchy, toasted perfection—here’s how.
Step 1: Sort & Rinse
First, wipe or pick off any pumpkin flesh or strands from the seeds.
Step 2: Sauté
Sauté the seeds in a little canola oil until they are lightly browned.
Step 3: Bake
Transfer the seeds to a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until crisp, about 10 minutes.
Step 4: Drain & Store
Drain on paper towels, cool and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
What to Do with Roasted Seeds
Snack on the toasted seeds as is (feel free to add a few spices, like cayenne or cinnamon!), or try some other incredible applications:
- Mix them into a nutty granola mix.
- Blend pumpkin seeds into a Latin-inspired dip.
- Garnish a pumpkin soup with seeds that have been roasted with cayenne, cumin and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle them on salads like this Mesclun and Roasted Pears with Mustard Vinaigrette.
- Add a little crunch and nuttiness to handmade pumpkin tortelloni.
- Use them to garnish cupcakes.
Tell us: What’s your favorite way to cook with roasted squash and pumpkin seeds?