For a crispy snack you can feel good about eating, try making these tasty beet chips, which get their snappy texture from a stint in an air fryer. Although they’re delicious made with any type of beet, Chioggia beets—also known as candy cane beets for their pink concentric circles—will give you the prettiest results. If you like, serve aioli alongside for dipping the chips into.
Air-Fried Beet Chips
- 4 small beets, about 1/2 lb. (250 g) total, peeled
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Using a mandoline, slice the beets very thinly, about 1/16 inch (2 mm) thick. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and arrange the beet slices on the towels in a single layer. Top with another layer of paper towels and press down firmly. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the beets to dry.
2. In a large bowl, toss the beet slices with the olive oil and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper.
3. Preheat a Philips air fryer to 300°F (149°C). Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray, then arrange half of the beets in the basket in a single layer. Insert into the air fryer and cook until the beets are crisp and browned at the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the beet chips to a platter and repeat to air fry the remaining beets. Serve immediately. Serves 2 to 4.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen