Stuffed with tender potatoes and sweet peas and flavored with fragrant curry powder and garlic, these air-fried treats are a great part of a healthy Indian-inspired meatless Monday meal. Airfrying puff pastry gives these samosas a crisp, flaky texture.
Air-Fried Samosas with Cilantro Sauce
For the samosas:
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (5 oz./155 g) finely diced peeled russet potato
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz./75 g) thawed frozen peas
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp. water
For the cilantro sauce:
- 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil
1. To make the samosas, in a large nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and potato and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 12 minutes. Add the peas, curry powder, garlic and 1 tsp. salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Preheat an air fryer to 390°F (199°C).
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 7-by-14-inch (18-by-35-cm) rectangle. Cut into 2 strips lengthwise, then into 4 sections crosswise to create 8 squares. Working with 1 pastry square at a time, lightly brush the edges with some of the egg wash. Spoon a scant 1 Tbs. potato mixture into the center. Fold the bottom right corner over to the top left corner, then press the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
4. Carefully place 2 samosas in the variety cooking basket. Set the double layer rack inside the basket and place 2 samosas on the rack. Insert the basket into the air fryer. Cook, uncovered, until the pastry is evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining 4 samosas.
5. Meanwhile, make the cilantro sauce: In a mini food processor, combine the cilantro, garlic, 3/4 tsp. salt, the lemon juice and olive oil and process until the mixture reaches a pesto-like consistency. Serve the sauce alongside the samosas. Serves 4.
Find more than 20 fast, easy, healthy, and delicious recipes for the Philips Viva Digital Airfryer in The Airfryer Cookbook by the cooks of the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen.