Today is National Waffle Day, so don’t wait for the weekend to make these light, tender buttermilk waffles, which never go out of style. A simple French-style jam made with fresh strawberries and infused with vanilla bean is the perfect accompaniment.
Buttermilk Waffles with French Strawberry Jam
For the strawberry jam:
- 2 lb. (1 kg) strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
For the waffles:
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 oz./235 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- Maple syrup for serving (optional)
- Sweetened whipped cream for serving (optional)
1. To make the strawberry jam, in a large bowl, combine the strawberries and sugar and stir until evenly coated. Transfer to a fry pan. Using the tip of a knife, split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise to expose the seeds and scrape the seeds into the strawberry mixture. Add the pieces of the pod to the pan. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries have broken down, most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture resembles a thick jam, 45 to 48 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the vanilla bean pod and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool until just warm.
2. Meanwhile, make the waffles. Preheat an oven to 200°F (95°C). Preheat a Belgian waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions
3, In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Whisk in the buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites. Cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
5. Serve the waffles with the strawberry jam and whipped cream alongside. Makes about 4 waffles and 2 cups jam.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen