Tender pieces of chicken marinated in yogurt and Indian spices make a delicious easy weeknight meal. Dress a simple salad of sliced cucumbers and red onion with oil and vinegar, and serve the kebabs with steamed basmati rice and naan or another flatbread warmed briefly on the grill.
Chicken Kebabs with Tandoori Spices
- 3/4 cup (6 oz./185 g) plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbs. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) pieces
- Vegetable oil for the grill
1. In a bowl large enough to hold the chicken, mix the yogurt with the lemon juice, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, ginger, salt and cayenne. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat a medium-hot fire in a grill and oil the grill rack. Divide the chicken pieces equally among 4 or 5 flat metal skewers. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 9 minutes total. Push chicken from skewers onto plates and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma Eat Well: New Ways to Enjoy Foods you Love, by Charity Ferreira