If you have leftover home-roasted or store-bought rotisserie chicken on hand, this soup is the ideal solution for a super-quick weeknight dinner after a long workday. The soup is delicious as is, but you can make it heartier by stirring in some corn or peeled and diced tomatoes with the chicken.
Chicken, Tortilla and Lime Soup
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small jalapeño chile, seeded, deribbed and minced
- 6 cups (48 fl. oz./1.5 l) chicken broth
- 2 cups (12 oz./375 g) cooked, shredded chicken
- Juice of 3 to 4 limes
- 1 1/2 cups (4 1/2 oz./140 g) corn tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz./75 g) crumbled queso fresco
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the jalapeño and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Add the shredded chicken, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the lime juice and salt to taste.
2. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with the tortilla chips, queso fresco, avocado, cilantro and radishes, and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Couples will find inspiring ideas for everything from weeknight suppers to Saturday dinner parties in our Newlywed Cookbook.