A tasty combination of spicy and sweet, this vegetable side dish is delicious alongside tacos or roasted pork loin. The roasted sweet potatoes also make a good filling; roll them up in warm tortillas and top with a dollop of sour cream. Since the recipe calls for just a small amount of the chipotle chiles, store the rest in a small airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Chipotle- and Maple-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 or 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 lb. (500 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch (6-mm) dice
1. Preheat an oven to 450°F (230°C). Coat a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray.
2. Put the chipotle chile or chiles (depending on how spicy you’d like your potatoes) in a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, oil and salt and whisk to mix well. Add the sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
3. Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, stirring once, until tender and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
For this and more ideas for tacos you’ll want to serve every night of the week, check out our new Taco Night, by Kate McMillan.