The blades of a powerful Vitamix blender reach such a high speed that they create enough heat to friction-cook ingredients, making it a convenient tool for preparing soups like this one, which is bursting with the fresh flavor of carrots, ginger and orange juice. Paired with a loaf of crusty bread and a salad, it makes a refreshing spring meatless Monday meal.
Carrot-Coconut Soup with Fresh Ginger
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 can (14 oz./440 g) coconut milk
- 3-inch (7.5-cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crème fraîche for garnish (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and carrots and sauté until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. In a Vitamix blender, combine the orange juice, coconut milk, onion, carrots and ginger in the order listed. Cover with the lid. Set the Vitamix to 1 and turn the machine on. Slowly increase the speed to high and continue blending until steam escapes from the lid, about 6 minutes. Remove the lid, taste the soup and season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide the soup between 2 bowls, garnish with the crème fraîche and chives, and serve immediately. Serves 2.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen