There are endless ways to celebrate World Chocolate Day, but one of our favorites is making this easy pudding that’s bursting which chocolate flavor. It’s great as is—especially for outdoor parties and picnics—but it’s also easy to adapt. You can turn it into a parfait with layers of whipped cream and fresh raspberries, or try stirring in a little rum or amaretto and then garnishing the top with crushed chocolate wafer cookies or shaved semisweet chocolate.
Dark Chocolate Pudding
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (6 oz./185 g) sugar
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 6 oz. (185 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 oz. (60 g) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk until small bubbles appear along the edge of the pan. Remove from the heat.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Sift the flour and cocoa powder over the yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the hot milk, then pour the mixture into the pan. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
3. Pour the pudding through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add the chocolates and stir until melted. Stir in the vanilla. Spoon the pudding into serving cups. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream. Serves 6.
Find more mouthwatering ways to end a meal in our
cookbook Dessert of the Day, by Kim Laidlaw.