A well-seasoned cast-iron skillet is a great stand-in for a wok. Before you begin prepping the ingredients for this easy weeknight dinner, put a pot of rice on to cook, and it should be ready when the stir-fry is done.
Stir-Fried Beef with Bell Peppers and Basil
- 7 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
- 2 tsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. (500 g) flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Lime wedges for serving
1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Set aside.
2. In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the steak and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the steak to a platter. Add the bell pepper and onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute.
3. Return the steak to the skillet. Add the lime juice and half of the soy sauce mixture and toss until warmed through. Garnish with basil and serve with the remaining sauce and lime wedges alongside. Serves 4.
Find more than 20 easy-to-cook recipes that help you make the most
of your skillet in our cookbook The Skillet Supper Cookbook.