Crunchy walnuts, sweet and chewy dates, tart apple slices and salty Manchego cheese give this light, delicious salad a full array of textures and flavors. It’s the perfect side for an autumn dinner, or serve alongside a simple pasta for a weeknight dinner at home.
Escarole Salad with Apple, Walnuts, Dates and Manchego
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head escarole, cored and chopped (about 6 cups/6 oz./185 g)
- 1 small, crisp sweet-tart apple such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) pitted and sliced Medjool dates
- 3 oz. (90 g) Manchego cheese, thinly shaved
1. In a small bowl, stir together the shallot, vinegar and mustard. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Put the escarole in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Add the apple, walnuts, dates and cheese and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
For this and more ideas for pasta dishes you’ll want to serve every night of the week, check out our new Pasta Night, by Kate McMillan