One of our most popular Facebook posts in 2016 is also one of our easiest apps ever—sweet, chewy Medjool dates deliciously paired with salty Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and slightly bitter walnuts. You can assemble this simple starter up to 8 hours in advance and heat just before serving. If you make them this weekend, you might just decide to add them to your Thanksgiving menu as well.
Warm Dates with Parmesan and Walnuts
- 24 large dates, preferably Medjool
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil or walnut oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2-oz. (60-g) piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 24 walnut halves
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Using a paring knife, make a small lengthwise incision in each date and carefully remove the pit. In a bowl, gently toss the pitted dates with the 2 tsp. olive oil.
3. Arrange the dates, slit side up, in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish. Using a vegetable peeler, cut the cheese into bite-size shavings. Tuck 1 or 2 cheese shavings and a walnut half into each date.
4. Bake until the dates are warmed through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, drizzle with more olive oil and serve immediately. Serves 6 to 8.
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma Cheese, by Georgeanne Brennan