Welcome to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle in and catch up on all this week’s food news. Here are top-level highlights of some of the food stories we’ve been reading this week.
- For juicier tomatoes, try storing them upside down. [Serious Eats]
- Just how well does a new foraging phone app work in helping you find wild edibles on your own? [Skillet]
- This patriotic Caprese salad is a creative departure from the usual flag cake. [Food Network]
- Susan Ungaro, the longtime president of the James Beard Foundation, has announced she will be stepping down. [The New York Times]
- From city permitting to office equipment to ceramics, here’s how much it costs to open a restaurant in today’s San Francisco. [Eater SF]
- Top contenders for Nabisco’s #MyOreoCreation contest include Mermaid, Unicorn, Millennial Pink, Coffee, Glazed Donut and (of course) Avocado. [Grub Street]