Welcome to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle in and catch up on all this week’s food news. Here are top-level highlights of some of the food stories we’ve been reading this week.
- Read this, and you’ll never order coffee or tea on an airplane ever again. [Tasting Table]
- In an deal that illustrates the power of celebrity, George Clooney’s tequila, Casamigos, has just been sold to Diageo for as much as $1 billion. [Bloomberg]
- J. Kenji López-Alt, the mastermind behind The Food Lab, is working on his first real-life restaurant venture, a beer hall in Northern California. [Eater San Francisco]
- Now that Amazon’s purchased Whole Foods, what’s going to happen to the the future of Whole Foods and the grocery industry? Mark Bittman shares his predictions. [Grub Street]
- From cooking oil to produce stickers, here are 10 items you should avoid washing down the drain. [FWx]