Welcome to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle into a laid-back rhythm and catch up on all this week’s food news on the web. Here are the high-level highlights of the food stories we’ve been reading this week.
- Where does cream soda get its name from, anyway? One writer investigates. [Bon Appétit]
- Global warming could be causing a maple syrup shortage: Early February heat could reduce 2017’s maple syrup yield by as much as 75 percent. [The Kitchn]
- Vegan pasta lovers, it’s the moment you’ve been waiting for: the Internet has finally mastered a meat-free version of pasta carbonara. [Serious Eats]
- Here’s an unexpected pairing: Tom Brady has partnered with meal delivery service Purple Carrot to offer dairy-free, gluten-free vegetarian meal kits to the masses. [Tasting Table]
- Chipotle announced that it will close all 15 ShopHouse Asian Kitchen restaurants, the customizable rice, noodle and salad bar concept it first opened in 2011. [Eater]