Welcome to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle in and catch up on all this week’s food news. Here are top-level highlights of some of the food stories we’ve been reading this week.
- This world-famous bartending legend makes the case for why we should be drinking a whole lot less. [Bloomberg]
- A new smartphone app, Plentiful, means the hungry will no longer have to wait in line at food pantries. [FastCompany]
- One slow-cooker cookbook author tested seven models to find the very best slow cooker on the market. [Food & Wine]
- Why are human beings drawn to eating bitter foods? An investigation. [T Magazine]
- Driven by coffee: London will start powering public buses with used coffee grounds. [Grub Street]
- From Thanksgiving leftovers like onion peels, parsley stems, cheese rinds and leftover bread, award-winning chef Massimo Bottura makes a gorgeous Italian pasta in broth. [NPR]