Cheers to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle into a laid-back rhythm and catch up on all the best food stories on the web. For your perusal, here’s a thoughtfully-curated selection of stories that we loved reading this week.
- For a change from the usual chicken, try cornish game hen, which is smaller, more tender, and takes particularly well to marinades and spice rubs. [New York Times]
- Here’s a fantastic glimpse into the life of an apple picker. Every apple you see in the supermarket is picked by hand—specifically, by an apple picker who can likely pick more than 12 boxes per day. [NPR]
- Just like Paula Deen’s deep-fried butter made headlines a few years ago, the trend of the moment right now is something called butter sushi. [Eater]
- From chalupas to puffy taco, here’s a fantastic overview of classic Tex-Mex cuisine. [Bon Appétit]
- Vegan calamari? Yes, it can be done — and you’d never guess what the main ingredient is. [Food Republic]