Jump-start your weekend with this fried egg sandwich, which gets a kick from pickled red onions, tomatillo salsa and other lively toppings. We also love it when we’re wanting breakfast food for a quick dinner. The pickled onion slices need to be refrigerated for at least 1 hour before using, so plan accordingly.
Fried Egg Sandwich with Quick Pickled Onions
For the pickled onions:
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbs. (2 fl. oz./60 ml) tomatillo salsa
- 4 slices country-style bread, toasted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves
1. To make the pickled onions, place the onion slices in a small nonreactive bowl. In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the water, vinegar, brown sugar and salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour the mixture over the onion slices and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
2. In a nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Break the eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Spread 1 Tbs. of the salsa on each slice of toast. Top 2 of the toast slices with an egg and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Top each egg with the radishes, cilantro and pickled onions, dividing them evenly. Cover each sandwich with a remaining slice of toast, salsa side down, and serve immediately. Serves 2.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen