Here, a juicy burger is topped with a big serving of Greek salad. Mint-scented quinoa stands in for a bun in this easy gluten-free dinner. When forming the burgers, make an indentation with your thumb in the center on one side of the meat patties to help them stay flat during cooking. Without this step, they tend to swell up into a tennis ball shape.
Lamb Burgers with Mint Greek Salad Topping
- 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) quinoa
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 oz. (315 g), large plum tomatoes, halved, seeded and finely diced
- 1 Persian cucumber, finely diced
- 3 Tbs. diced feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz./80 g) plus 2 Tbs. finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup (3/4 oz./20 g) chopped fresh mint
- 1 1/4 lb. (625 g) ground lamb
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sweet paprika
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
1. Rinse and drain the quinoa 4 times, then place in a saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml) water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let stand at least 5 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, 2 Tbs. of the onion and 2 Tbs. of the mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. In a bowl, combine the ground lamb, paprika, the remaining 1/2 cup (2 1/2 oz./77 g) onion, 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) of the mint, 1 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper; mix gently to blend. Form the lamb mixture into 4 patties, each 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each patty. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat; brush with olive oil. Add the patties to the pan and cook until done to your liking, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
4. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Mix in the 1 Tbs. olive oil and the remaining 2 Tbs. mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the quinoa among 4 warmed plates and top each with a lamb patty. Spoon the tomato mixture generously over the patties and quinoa and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Find more quick, gluten-free dinner recipes in our book Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd.