Happy National Gluten-Free Day! If you have reduced or eliminated gluten from your diet, there are more resources available for you than ever before, from great gluten-free quick bread and cake mixes and cookbooks full of great ideas. Many bakeries are now creating great-tasting gluten-free buns, so you don’t even need to give up burgers. Or, for an unexpected presentation, place the burgers atop mashed potatoes mixed with a big handful of fresh dill. Many brands of mayonnaise are gluten free, as are most Dijon mustards. Be sure to read the labels.
Mustard-Dill Turkey Burgers with Mustard-Dill Slaw
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) gluten-free mayonnaise
- 5 Tbs. (2 1/2 oz./75 g) gluten-free Dijon mustard
- 5 Tbs. (1/2 to 3/4 oz./20 g) minced fresh dill
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bag (8 oz./250 g) prepared coleslaw mix
- 3 green onions, white and light green portions, minced
- 1 1/4 lb. (20 oz./625 g) ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- Olive oil for cooking
- 4 gluten-free buns, toasted
1. In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, 3 Tbs. of the mustard, 2 Tbs. of the dill and 1 tsp. of the lemon juice until combined. Season with pepper. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) of the mayonnaise mixture, the remaining 1 Tbs. lemon juice and a third of the green onions and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In another large bowl, combine the ground turkey, the remaining 2 Tbs. mustard, 3 Tbs. of the dill, the remaining green onions, 3/4 tsp. salt and a generous amount of pepper. Mix gently. Form the mixture into 4 patties, each about 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each patty.
3. Heat a large fry pan over medium heat and brush with oil. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through in the center, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Place the bun bottoms on 4 plates. Top each with a patty and a spoonful of sauce. Spoon the coleslaw on top of the patty or alongside the potatoes, place the bun top on top and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Find more quick, gluten-free dinner recipes in our book Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd.