Here, shrimp are cooked with their shells intact, which imparts great flavor. They’re a bit messy to peel before eating, so have plenty of napkins on hand. If desired, serve with aioli (garlicky mayonnaise) for dipping.
Grilled Salt and Pepper Shrimp
- 2 lb. (1 kg) jumbo shrimp
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Lemon aioli for serving
1. Prepare a hot fire in a grill.
2. Using a sharp paring knife or kitchen shears, cut along each shrimp’s shell above the vein line and then remove the vein. Leave the shell and tail intact.
3. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the shrimp and lemon slices in a perforated grill pan and place on the grill. Cook, tossing once or twice, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
4. Transfer the shrimp and lemon slices to a serving bowl and serve immediately with the aioli alongside. Serves 4 to 6.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen