A versatile sauce made from cumin, shallot, cilantro and lemon juice is used to season steak, potatoes and salad in this easy weeknight dinner that’s naturally gluten free. Partially cooking the potatoes in boiling water allows them to cook quickly on the grill alongside the steak.
Grilled Steak and Fingerlings with Herb Salad
- 1 1/4 lb. (625 g) fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 1/4 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) flank steak
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. minced shallot
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) minced fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4 oz. (120 g) baby salad greens (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) mixed fresh herb leaves, such as cilantro, flat-leaf parsley and basil
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
2. In a small fry pan over medium heat, toast the cumin and coriander seeds, shaking frequently, until fragrant and starting to brown, about 1 minute. Grind the seeds coarsely in a mortar with a pestle. Place the steak on a baking sheet and brush on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the seeds, and then season generously with salt and black pepper.
3. In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, minced cilantro, paprika, cayenne pepper and the remaining ground seeds to make a sauce. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. In another bowl, toss the potatoes with about 1 Tbs. oil and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Prepare a hot fire in a grill.
5. Place the steak on the grill rack. Arrange the potatoes cut side down on the grill rack. Cook the steak to the desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Grill the potatoes until golden brown on the cut side, about 5 minutes. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes.
6. Combine the greens, herbs and 2 to 3 Tbs. of the sauce and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice the meat thinly across the grain and arrange on plates with the potatoes and salad. Serve immediately, passing the remaining sauce at the table. Serves 4.
Find more quick, gluten-free dinner recipes in our book Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd.