For a comforting cold-weather meal, nothing can beat an old-fashioned beef stew, preferably served with a wedge of freshly baked bread. In this version, using the pressure cook function of an Instant Pot shaves about an hour off the usual cooking time. Serve atop a spoonful of mashed potatoes, or pass a loaf of crusty bread at the table.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lb. (1 kg) boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch (5-cm) cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 lb. (500 g) russet potatoes, cut into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) beef broth
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
1. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
2. In an Instant Pot set to “sauté,” warm the olive oil. Working in batches, sear the beef, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the onion to the pot and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the carrots, potatoes, beef broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce to the pot and stir to combine. Return the beef to the pot with a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cover the pot with the lid, lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing.” Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook at high pressure for 35 minutes.
4. When the pressure cooking is complete, let the steam release naturally for 15 minutes, then turn the valve to “venting” to release any residual steam. Carefully remove the lid from the pot.
5. Set the Instant Pot to “sauté” and bring the stew to a simmer. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Simmer until the stew is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among individual bowls, garnish with parlsey and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen