Using an Instant Pot, you can braise chicken and cook root vegetables in record time, making this hearty, healthy dish perfect for a weeknight meal. And, best of all, you’ll only have one pot to wash when you’re done.
Instant Pot Braised Chicken with Root Vegetables
- 1 chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 lb. (1.75 to 2 kg), cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbs. chicken demi-glace
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces
- 2 small rutabagas, peeled and quartered
- 2 small turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into strips 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour. In an Instant Pot set to “sauté,” warm the olive oil. In batches, sear the chicken until golden brown all over, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Add the onion and celery to the pot and sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, thyme and demi-glace and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and broth, and place the carrots, rutabagas and turnips on top. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to “sealing.” Set the Instant Pot to cook at high pressure for 15 minutes.
4. When the pressure cooking is complete, turn the valve to “venting” to manually release the steam.
5. When the steam stops, carefully remove the lid. Using a spoon, skim the fat off the sauce. Set the Instant Pot to “sauté” and add the chard. Stir until the chard is wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a serving bowl and spoon some of the sauce on top. Serve immediately, passing the remaining sauce alongside. Serves 4.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen