A hearty side dish perfect for accompanying many Indian dishes, this healthy dish also makes a great meatless Monday meal served alongside dal. An All-Clad Electric Rice & Grain Cooker takes all the guesswork out of cooking the rice; simply set it to the “white rice” setting and it will beep when your rice is finished cooking.
Coconut-Turmeric Rice with Kale and Cashews
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 cup (7 oz./220 g) basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 can (14 oz./440 g) coconut milk
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (5 oz./150 g) cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
1. In a fry pan over medium heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the coconut oil. Add the onion and 1 tsp. salt and cook until the onion is translucent and tender, about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp. pepper, the turmeric and garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains. Cook until the rice is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the rice mixture to a rice and grain cooker and add 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) water. Set to the “white rice” setting and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the cooker beeps, about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. coconut oil, Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add the kale to the pan and cook until it starts to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt.
3. To serve, divide the rice among 4 bowls. Top each with an equal amount of the kale mixture and sprinkle with the cashews. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen