When tomatoes reach their peak in the height of summer, simply roast them in a hot oven to bring out their sweetness, then whirl them with a few other ingredients in a Vitamix to make a simple but flavorful sauce. The powerful blender even heats it to just the right serving temperature. Toss with your favorite cooked pasta, sprinkle with Parmesan and basil, and dinner is done.
Linguine with Easy Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 8 large plum tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 cups (12 oz./375 g) cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. (375 g) dried linguine
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Fresh basil leaves for serving
1. Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Arrange the plum and cherry tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) of the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Bake until the cherry tomatoes are softened and wrinkled but not yet totally collapsed, about 15 minutes. Transfer the cherry tomatoes to a bowl and set aside. Return the plum tomatoes to the oven and continue roasting until softened and collapsed, about 15 minutes more.
3. While the tomatoes are roasting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente (tender but still slightly firm to the bite), about 12 minutes or according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and return to the pot to keep warm.
4. Transfer the plum tomatoes and their juices to a Vitamix blender and add the garlic, oregano and vinegar. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes, then reduce the speed to low and add the remaining 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue blending on high speed until the sauce is heated through.
5. Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Divide the pasta among individual bowls and top each with some of the roasted cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and basil and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen