Hearts of palm and avocado, two popular ingredients in Mexico, come together in this fresh, vibrant salad. Choose from a mix of greens, such as red or green butter lettuce, endive, arugula or baby spinach, in any combination.
Mixed Greens with Hearts of Palm, Red Onion and Avocado
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro, plus 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) lightly packed whole leaves
- 6 to 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 avocados
- 1 can (14 oz./400 g) hearts of palm, drained
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, the olive oil and 1 Tbs. of the minced cilantro to make a dressing.
2. In a large bowl, toss the greens with the 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) cilantro leaves. Drizzle the dressing over the greens and toss to coat evenly.
3. Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pits. Working with one half at a time and using a paring knife, cut parallel lines in the avocado flesh, cutting just down to the peel. Use a large spoon to scoop the avocado slices into a bowl.
4. Rinse the hearts of palm and pat dry with paper towels. Cut each heart of palm crosswise into 1/2-inch (12-mm) slices.
5. To serve, divide the dressed greens among individual plates and top each serving with some of the sliced avocado, hearts of palm and onion. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Bring a true taste of Mexico to your table with our mouthwatering collection of down-home dishes in Rustic Mexican, by Deborah Schneider.