Whether you’re having friends over to watch the celebrities walk the red carpet, or you’re just curling up by yourself to see if your favorite movie has won any awards, this savory popcorn snack should be cast in the starring role.
Popcorn with Lemon Butter
- 4 Tbs. (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) popcorn kernels
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for sprinkling
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the thyme, lemon juice, maple syrup and lemon zest and stir to mix well. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
2. In a large, heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the popcorn and immediately cover the pot. After the first kernels pop, cook, shaking occasionally, until all of the kernels have popped, about 4 minutes. Pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
3. Pour the warm flavored butter over the popcorn and toss to coat well. Season with flaky salt and serve. Serves 4 to 6.
Couples will find inspiring ideas for everything from weeknight suppers to Saturday dinner parties in our Newlywed Cookbook.