While technically not a supper, this dip is hearty enough to serve for a One Pot Wednesday meal. You can replace the black beans with canned pintos or refried beans, and the mozzarella cheese with Monterey jack or pepper jack. If you’d like, scatter a handful of sliced black olives along with the other toppings.
Queso & Beef Dip
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 lb. (500 g) ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz./470 g) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) sour cream
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves,
- Tortilla chips for serving
1. Preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C).
2. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and 1 tsp. salt. Set aside.
3. In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
4. Spoon off the excess fat from the skillet. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the beef and stir well to combine. Remove from the heat. Spoon the beans in an even layer over the beef, and sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Top the dip with the avocados, tomatoes, onion, sour cream, lime juice and a pinch of salt, and garnish with the cilantro. Serve immediately with tortilla chips alongside. Serves 6 to 8.
Find more than 20 easy-to-cook recipes that help you make the most
of your skillet in our cookbook The Skillet Supper Cookbook.