Quinoa, which has high levels of protein and fiber, is versatile, cooks quickly, and is a healthy way of soaking up delicious sauces. Serve alongside sautéed chicken breasts sprinkled with za’atar or seared fish with a pan sauce for satisfying yet healthy spring dinner.
Quinoa with Dried Apricots, Pistachios & Arugula
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (7 oz./220 g) quinoa
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (2 oz./60 g) loosely packed arugula leaves, tough stems removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) dried apricots, quartered
- 3 Tbs. pistachios
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Pour the broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa, return to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the quinoa stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté just until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in the arugula and cook, stirring occasionally, just until slightly wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the contents of the frying pan to a large bowl. Stir in the quinoa, apricots, pistachios and parsley. Drizzle with a little more olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving. Serves 4 to 6.
For more fresh ideas about how to prepare chicken, whether for a
quick family meal or an impressive weekend spread, check out our
Chicken Night: Dinner Solutions for Every Day of the Week.