In this inventive preparation for broccolini, a half lemon is chopped, peel and all, and roasted with the vegetables. The other seasonings are minimal—just garlic, salt and pepper—for a surprisingly complex flavor from just six ingredients.
Roasted Broccolini with Lemon
- 2 lb. (1 kg) broccolini, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Trim and coarsely chop the broccolini. Remove the seeds from the lemon and then cut it, peel and all, into 1/4-inch (6-mm) dice.
3. In a fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add the broccolini, diced lemon, 1/2 tsp. salt and a few grindings of pepper. Cook, stirring often, just until color of the broccolini deepens, about 1 minute longer.
4. Scrape the contents of the frying pan into a baking dish, add the remaining 1/2 Tbs. olive oil and turn to coat. Roast until the broccolini is crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 4.
Find more simple, nourishing recipes in our cookbook Good for You, by Dana Jacobi.