Cheers to the weekend! Now’s the time to settle into a laid-back rhythm and catch up on all the best food stories on the web. For your perusal, here’s a thoughtfully-curated selection of stories that we loved reading this week.
- Thanks to a perfect blend of affordability, accessibility, and economic supply, fast-casual fried chicken is almost sure to be the thing. From fast-food titans to Michelin-starred restaurateurs, here’s a rundown of who’s looking to capitalize on the up-and-coming restaurant trend. [Eater]
- Wish you had more power to give feedback as a diner? Now if you eat at Work in Progress restaurant, you can. While guests at this Copenhagen-based crowdfunded restaurant have no control over what food they’re served, they have the power to vote on how much they liked their dishes at the end of the meal. [Bon Appétit]
- A rap and rock playlist, tequila and gin cocktails, elevated service, and full-on kitsch: These are all hallmarks of the postmodern tiki revival. [Food Republic]
- The guy who’s eaten more hamburgers than anyone else talks about how burger culture has evolved in America over the last 10 years. [Lucky Peach]
- Are you a brocavore who’s spent so many hours working at your local third wave coffee shop that you’ve developed a bad case of barista wrist? Are you an avid beer drinker who collects ghost whales as a hobby? You might be (and you might not even know it). Boost your of-the-moment food vocabulary by adopting these six new cutting-edge culinary terms. [Bon Appétit]