Inspired by a grilled ham and cheddar sandwich, these cheesy sausage quesadillas made with corn tortillas are a gluten-free version that are perfect for an easy weeknight meal. The recipe is easy to double; just keep the first batch of quesadillas warm on the lowest oven setting while you cook the second batch.
Sausage-Pepper Quesadillas with Spinach-Apple Salad
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. sweet paprika
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 Tbs. minced green onion
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 pinches sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz. (125 g) baby spinach (about 4 cups lightly packed)
- 1 red-skinned apple, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 oz. (90 to125 g) gluten-free andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 gluten-free corn tortillas, each about 5 1/2 to 6 inches (14 to 15 cm)
- 1 1/2 cups (about 3 oz./90 g) coarsely shredded sharp cheddar or Manchego cheese
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, paprika, and the olive oil. Mix in the onion, cilantro and sugar to make a dressing, then season to taste with salt and pepper. In a salad bowl, combine the spinach and apple.
2. Brush a large nonstick fry pan with olive oil and warm over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Add the red pepper and sauté until tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to another small bowl.
3. Heat a griddle or large fry pan over medium-low heat. Brush with olive oil. Add 2 tortillas and cook until softened slightly, about 30 seconds. Turn over and sprinkle 2 Tbs. of the cheese over half of each tortilla, leaving a border. Top with 1 Tbs. of the sausage and 1 Tbs. of the bell pepper. Sprinkle with 2 Tbs. of the cheese. Fold the empty side of the tortillas over the filling and press slightly. Cook until light golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to warmed plates. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cheese, sausage and bell pepper, adding oil as needed.
4. Dress the salad to your liking and toss to coat the leaves. Serve immediately with the quesadillas. Serves 2.
Find more quick, gluten-free dinner recipes in our book Weeknight Gluten Free, by Kristine Kidd.