As Food & Wine’s Culinary Director and the host of their weekly morning show, Mad Genius LIVE, James Beard Award-nominated Justin Chapple was inspired to take a different approach to steak after a recent trip to France, where he says, the steaks were far thinner than the gigantic ones served in the United States.
This version features an enviable crust that tastes so good but isn’t always so easy to create. Surprise: Justin’s technique is fool proof. Served with his carrot “chimichurri” and a side of grilled vegetables, it’s an easy meal to make on a weeknight or to serve friends on the weekend.
Watch Justin whip up the steaks with Amanda in our Test Kitchen and check out the recipe below:
3-Minute Minute Steaks with Carrot Chimichurri
- 2 small carrots (about 2 ounces), quartered lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot greens
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless New York strip steaks, cut ½ inch thick (have your butcher cut them like this)
- Cornstarch, for dusting