You don’t even need a mixing bowl or a spoon to make these super-easy buttery, nutty, chocolaty bars. Just layer the ingredients in the dish and bake. This is a fun recipe to make with kids, who can help you layer the ingredients in the dish or make the graham cracker crumbs by putting the crackers in a sealable plastic bag and hitting them with rolling pin or other sturdy object. If you like, trade out half of the bittersweet chocolate chips for white chocolate chips, or substitute peanut butter chips for the butterscotch chips.
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (4 1/2 oz./140 g) graham cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers)
- 1 1/2 cups (9 oz./280 g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6 oz./185 g) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup (3 oz./90 g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 can (14 fl. oz./430 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz./185 g) shredded dried unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Put the butter in a 9-by-13-inch (23-by-33-cm) baking dish and transfer to the oven. When the butter has melted, swirl to coat the bottom and sides of the dish.
3. Spread the graham cracker crumbs in an even layer on the bottom of the dish. Layer the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, oats, pecans and walnuts on top. Pour the condensed milk over the entire surface. Sprinkle the coconut on top.
4. Bake until the coconut is toasted and the edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the baking dish to a wire rack and let cool completely, then cut into bars. Makes 20 bars.
Discover 40 of our favorite recipes for crowd-pleasing treats, from classic drop and cut-out cookies to decadent sandwich cookies, brownies and bars, in our Favorite Cookies.