Variations on this orange salad are often served in Sicily, where citrus trees are abundant. Simple and refreshing, ours hits all the flavor notes, combining three types of oranges with thinly shaved red onion, salty capers, crunchy pistachios and fresh basil leaves. Here we’ve used navel, Cara Cara and blood oranges for a beautiful variety of colors and flavors, but you can use a single type of orange if you prefer.
Orange, Pistachio and Red Onion Salad
- 3 oranges, preferably a mix of navel, Cara Cara and blood oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly shaved
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) toasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. capers, coarsely chopped
1. In a large serving bowl, arrange the oranges and red onion slices in overlapping layers. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Scatter the basil, pistachios and capers over the top. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen