Baked in a cast-iron fry pan with a bourbon-scented pear filling and a buttery-crisp topping, this simple dessert may well become one of your go-to recipes during the cold months. Choose Bartlett or Bosc pears that are ripe and give a little when pressed but are not overripe.
Pear-Bourbon Skillet Crisp
Unsalted butter for greasing
For the filling:
- 6 firm, ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 3 Tbs. good-quality bourbon
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
For the topping:
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) (3 oz./90 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (4 oz./125 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (2 1/2 oz./75 g) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup (5 oz./155 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
1. Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C). Generously butter a 10-inch (25-cm) cast-iron fry pan.
2. To make the filling, in a large bowl, stir together the pears and bourbon. Let stand for 30 minutes. In another bowl, stir together the sugars, flour and cinnamon. Add to the pear mixture and stir until evenly coated. Add the pear filling to the prepared pan.
3. To make the topping, in a bowl, stir together the melted butter and vanilla. In another bowl, using a fork, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Add the butter mixture and stir until evenly blended and crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.
4. Bake until the pears are tender and bubbly and the topping is crisp and brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with scoops of ice cream, if desired. Serves 6.
Find more fresh ideas for pies, cakes, tarts and
more in our new Luscious Fruit Desserts.