A big lasagna supper too often means a full kitchen sink. But here, the same ovenproof skillet is used for making the sauce and baking the lasagna, which turns it from a major weekend project to a weeknight meal. Be sure to cover the top pasta layer completely with sauce so it will cook evenly.
Skillet Sausage and Beef Lasagna
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) pork sausage, casing removed
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz./875 g) crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped, plus whole basil leaves for garnish
- 1 package (15 oz./475 g) ricotta cheese
- 4 1/2 cups (18 oz./560 g) cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz./180 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 15 no-boil lasagna noodles
1. Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the sausage and ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat from the skillet.
3. Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the oregano and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and the sausage mixture, and season with salt and black pepper. Transfer the sauce to a large bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the basil, ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the egg and a large pinch each of salt and black pepper.
5. Spread 1/3 cup of the sauce evenly on the bottom of the skillet. Cover with a single layer of 3 lasagna noodles (break up noodles into smaller pieces to fill in any gaps). Top with 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 cup of the sauce, 3/4 cup of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, and another layer of 3 lasagna noodles. Repeat the layering of sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture and cheeses 3 more times. Cover with the remaining 3 lasagna noodles, then top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
6. Transfer to the oven and bake until the lasagna is browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Garnish with basil and serve. Serves 6 to 8.
Find more than 20 easy-to-cook recipes that help you make the most
of your skillet in our cookbook The Skillet Supper Cookbook.