Cauliflower is too often boiled, which hides its great taste and texture. In this recipe for an easy meatless Monday meal, however, it’s charred, which brings out its naturally nutty flavor and makes it work perfectly with pasta. If it’s just dinner for two, refrigerate half of the pesto for an easy dinner on another night.
Spaghettini with Cauliflower Pesto
- 1 small head cauliflower, cored and cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) florets
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) toasted almonds
- 2 Tbs. capers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. (500 g) spaghettini
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat a stove-top grill pan over high heat.
2. Season the cauliflower florets with salt and pepper. Place on the grill pan and cook, turning occasionally, until well charred on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and add the olive oil, parsley, almonds, capers and garlic. Pulse until the mixture is well combined but still coarse. Set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, stir and cook according to the package directions, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the cauliflower pesto and Parmesan and toss to combine. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Couples will find inspiring ideas for everything from weeknight suppers to Saturday dinner parties in our Newlywed Cookbook.