Since baby spinach is available year-round at almost all supermarkets, and pears reach their peak in the cold months, this salty-yet-sweet salad makes a welcome addition to the winter dinner table. Go light on the seasoning, since the bacon adds ample saltiness to both the dressing and the tossed greens; a few grinds of fresh pepper should do it.
Spinach and Pear Salad with Bacon
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. (155 g) baby spinach
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
1. In a fry pan over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving the fat in the pan. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
2. Spoon 3 Tbs. of the reserved bacon fat into a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Whisk in the vinegar, honey and mustard and simmer until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the onion and remove from the heat.
3. Pour the dressing into a large salad bowl and add the spinach, pear and crumbled bacon. Toss to coat all the ingredients well. Top with a few grindings of pepper and serve immediately. Serves 4.
For this and more ideas for pizza you’ll want to serve every night of the week, check out our new Pizza Night, by Kate McMillan.