A brown betty is one of the easiest fruit desserts to throw together because you don’t have to make a pie crust, tart shell or even a cobbler topping. Instead, sweetened, buttered bread crumbs are layered with fresh fruit and then baked for a homey yet irresistible dessert that highlights some of our favorite ingredients from the spring farmers’ market.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Brown Betty
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus butter for greasing
- 2 cups (4 oz./125 g) fine fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup (7 oz./220 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups (12 oz./375 g) thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) fresh strawberries (about 6 cups), hulled and sliced
1. Preheat an oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly butter a 2 1/2-qt (2.5-l) shallow baking dish.
2. In a bowl, using a fork, stir together the bread crumbs and brown sugar. Add the nutmeg and melted butter and stir until the ingredients are evenly moistened. In another bowl, stir together the rhubarb and strawberries.
3. Sprinkle half of the crumb mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread the fruit mixture evenly over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture.
4. Bake until the top is golden and the fruit is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving, or let cool completely and serve at room temperature. Serves 8.
Find more fresh ideas for pies, cakes, tarts and more in
our new Luscious Fruit Desserts.