Why buy almond butter at the store when you can enjoy the freshest almond butter you’ve ever had by making it yourself in a Vitamix blender? It’s incredibly easy and requires just three ingredients: toasted almonds, oil, and salt. If your almonds are raw, toast them in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes, then let them cool completely before proceeding with the recipe.
Homemade Almond Butter
- 3 cups (1 lb./500 g) toasted unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more as needed
1. Preheat an oven to 250°F (120°C).
2. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until just warm but not hot, about 10 minutes. Let the almonds cool before transferring to a Vitamix blender.
3. Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1.
4. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
5. Use the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
6. In 1 minute you will hear a high-pitched chugging sound. Once the butter begins to flow freely through the blades, the motor sound will change and become low and laboring. Stop the machine.
7. Taste and add more salt if desired.
8. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen