Hearty and savory thanks to the addition of chickpeas and chorizo, this warm salad would be perfect served with other Portuguese small dishes known as pesticos, which are traditionally enjoyed with wine or beer. Be sure to use cured chorizo, rather than fresh, in this recipe. Look for the garlicky Portuguese version, which is spelled chouriço, but Spanish chorizo will work equally well.
Warm Chickpea and Chorizo Salad
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. (500 g) chorizo, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm) slices
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 can (15 oz./470 g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups (4 oz./125 g) arugula
1. In a large fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chorizo and fry until crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a paper towel–lined plate.
2. In the same pan over medium heat, add the onion and chickpeas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and the chickpeas are crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return the chorizo to the pan and heat until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
3. Place the arugula in a serving bowl and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the chorizo mixture over the arugula and serve warm. Serves 6 to 8.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen