When tender young asparagus come into season, take advantage of their delicate texture and flavor by serving the vegetable raw, as in this pretty salad that takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
- 1 Tbs. pine nuts
- 1 lb. (500 g) asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving
1. In a small fry pan over medium heat, toast the pine nuts, stirring them frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
2. While the pine nuts are cooling, working with 1 asparagus spear at a time, use a vegetable peeler to shave the spears lengthwise into long, thin strips. Transfer the asparagus shavings to a large serving bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Pour the mixture over the asparagus and toss to coat. Add the pine nuts and toss again to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, shave thin slices on Parmesan on top of the salad as desired. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen