Why order takeout when you can cook a pizza just the way you like it on your backyard grill? This fresh meatless pie is prepared in our specially designed pan that turns your grill into a pizza oven. The perforated design absorbs and transfers heat, producing a crisp, golden crust and perfectly cooked toppings.
Grilled Pizza with Pesto and Zucchini
- 2 cups (2 oz./60 g) lightly packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) toasted pine nuts
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 batch Food-Processor Pizza Dough, divided into 2 balls
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch (6-mm) rounds
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1. To make the pesto, in a small food processor, combine the basil, pine nuts, lemon zest and juice and garlic. Pulse until the ingredients are uniformly minced, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until smooth and thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Prepare a hot fire in a gas grill, leaving the center burner on medium-low heat. Lightly brush a nonstick outdoor pizza pan with olive oil.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 pizza dough ball into a 12-inch (30-cm) round and transfer to the prepared pizza pan. Spread half of the pesto evenly on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch (12-mm) border uncovered. Top with half of the zucchini, then sprinkle with half each of the cheese and red pepper flakes.
4. Place the pizza pan in the center of the grill and cover the grill. Bake until the crust is crisp and well browned and the cheese is melted, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the pizza to a cutting board, cut into slices and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Makes two 12-inch (30-cm) pizzas.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen