A homey Ashkenazi Jewish dish, kugel is often made with egg noodles and ricotta, cream cheese or cottage cheese for a creamy casserole that straddles the line between side dish and dessert. Here, however, we share a savory potato kugel that makes a great side dish to a meaty main course like slow-cooked brisket. To grate the potato, use the large holes of a box grater or the large grating disk of a food processor.
Mushroom and Chive Kugel
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 lb. (1.5 kg) russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup (2 oz./55 g) potato starch
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Crème fraîche for garnish
1. In a fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and 1/2 tsp. salt and sauté until the onions are tender and lightly caramelized, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
2. While the mushrooms are cooling, preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
3. When the mushrooms have cooled, add the grated potatoes to the bowl with the mushrooms and toss to combine. Add the potato starch and a pinch each of salt and pepper and toss to combine. Add the eggs and stir until thoroughly coated, then stir in the chives.
4. In a 10-inch (25-cm) cast-iron or other ovenproof fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Drain the liquid from the potato mixture, discarding the liquid. Spoon the potato mixture into the pan and, using a spatula, spread the mixture into an even layer.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown on top and tender in the middle, tenting it with aluminum foil if the top browns too quickly, about 1 1/4 hours. Garnish with more chives and serve hot with the crème fraîche alongside. Serves 6 to 8.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen