There’s no reason a pepperoni pizza has to be boring. Here, we’ve added artichoke hearts and green olives to the topping for a new twist on the classic pie. Baked in the oven on a hot pizza stone, the sauce-free pie emerges with a beautifully crisp crust, just like one you’d enjoy at your favorite pizzeria.
Pizza with Pepperoni, Artichoke Hearts and Olives
- 1/2 lb. (250 g) purchased or homemade pizza dough
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz./45 g) green olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) halved artichoke hearts
- 1/2 oz. (15 g) sliced pepperoni
- Dried oregano for sprinkling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) arugula
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1. Place a pizza stone in the lower third of an oven and preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. Shape the pizza dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 10-inch (25-cm) square Top the dough with the mozzarella, followed by the olives, artichoke hearts and pepperoni, leaving a 1/2-inch (12-mm) border uncovered. Lightly sprinkle with oregano and season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Using a pizza peel or a rimless baking sheet, transfer the pizza to the preheated stone. Bake until the crust is crisp and well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the pizza to a cutting board, top with the arugula and drizzle with olive oil. Cut into slices and serve immediately. Makes one 10-inch (25-cm) pizza.
Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen