Happy National Coffee Day! We’re celebrating with this lightly sweetened iced coffee with great vanilla bean flavor. Cold-brewed iced coffee retains more nuanced flavor than coffee brewed hot and allowed to cool, which is why we let our coffee brew at room temperature for at least 12 hours. For the best flavor, use freshly ground coffee. Dark-roasted beans, such as French or Viennese roast, will produce a full-bodied flavor, while medium-roasted beans, such as breakfast or American roast, will yield a less intense flavor.
Vanilla Bean Iced Coffee
- 1 cup (7 oz./210 g) ground coffee
- 4 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) sugar
- Ice cubes for serving
1. In a pitcher, stir the ground coffee into 4 cups (32 fl. oz./1 l) water. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 12 hours or up to overnight.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vanilla beans, milk and sugar. Bring the mixture to a simmer and immediately remove from the heat. Let steep for about 20 minutes.
3. Strain the coffee through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Strain again through a coffee filter into a large, clean pitcher. Fill 4 tumblers with ice cubes. Pour the coffee into the glasses, filling them to within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of the rim. Top each glass with 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) of the vanilla-flavored milk.
4. Garnish each drink with a vanilla bean pod and serve immediately. Serves 4.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Breakfast and Brunch, by Georgeanne Brennan, Elinor Klivans, Jordan Mackay and Charles Pierce (Oxmoor House, 2007)
[…] Happy National Coffee Day! We’re celebrating with this lightly sweetened iced coffee with great vanilla bean flavor. Cold-brewed iced coffee retains more nuanced flavor than … read more The post Vanilla Bean Iced Coffee appeared first on Williams-Sonoma Taste .source… […]
Try vanilla beans from Papua New Guinea
Are you serious? Don’t you know how expensive whole vanilla beans are right now? You’d be lucky to find them for under ten dollars each!